Friday, April 8, 2011

Kitchen cleanup

You might remember me saying I was bit by the bug (the spring cleaning one...not a real bug- ew. I just detest bugs and their nasty little twitchy eyes, and brrrr- just sends shivers down my spine thinking about it....) Well, after the laundry room, I tackled the kitchen.

It started small...see, when we got the new stove delivered, the guy said, "you might want to use some soapy water and scrub it down first..." Being the diligent homeowner I am, as soon as they left, I grabbed my trusty blue bucket, filled it with my Mr.Clean + Febreeze amazing smelling soap (I got the Hawaiian Aloha scent, and I tell you what- while I'm cleaning with it, I find myself closing my eyes and imagining I'm on a beach in Hawaii...)

With my soapy-smell-good-bucket in hand, I attacked our new stove. Then I thought, "I should clean the utensil drawer...but dust falls, so I should go to the next drawer as well...."

I pull out the white tray, gave it a nice soapy bath...grabbed all the plastic bag boxes, cleared out all the random things I found (more on that later) and then, for the first time since I think we moved in, I scrubbed the INSIDE of the drawers!

So while the drawers were drying, our kitchen looked like this:
Like my blue bucket? Check out that BRAND NEW STOVE too!! Pretty exciting, hu?!

This might not seem like a "big deal" to some people, but when you think of all the stuff that falls into the drawers in your kitchen, crumbs especially, how often do you really clean 'em out? This got me on a roll. I just kept cleaning because suddenly nothing was "really clean". I'm not exaggerating. Everything. The rim of the drawer box, the front of all the cabinets, the inside lip on the cabinet fronts...yeah, it was awesome! End result, an awesome smelling (thank you Mr.Clean) organized, squeaky clean kitchen and cabinets!

Then I tackled the pot, pan, cookie tray and "all other stuff" side of the kitchen. End result? AWESOME!

While I was cleaning though, I came across strange items that I didn't know where lingering in our kitchen.

Lets talk about the fork shall we? It accidentally came home with me after a GNO (Girl's Night Out) which may or may not have involved the large consumption of alcohol. I'm pretty sure this wasn't supposed to land in my doggy bag, but it did. Now, a better question might be, what the heck am I still doing with it?! I have no idea.

Next up, the Bahamian quarter. Not an American quarter (which we could use here in Ohio) but one from a trip to Nassau. We haven't been to Nassau in over four years. Yeaaaah.

Then the wooden spoon? Not really sure what its intended purpose is. I can assure you I have never used it, I mean, I'd remember that! Looks like something you'd find in The Little Mermaid's underwater locker of human trinkets!

And lastly, the nail. This I actually know where it came from and why I kept it in the drawer. It was given out to everyone at Easter service at our church three years ago. The purpose of it was to show each parishioner something similar to what Jesus was nailed to the cross with. (Kinda heavy stuff, right?) I left it in the drawer so everyday when I opened said-drawer, I would be reminded of the ultimate sacrifice Jesus made for my sins. (This was the only piece of randomness that went back into the drawer...)

Its amazing what you'll find in your kitchen drawers. And just think, I didn't even get to the junk drawer!