Friday, October 1, 2010

Recipe of the week

Christmas 2004 (?) my mom put together a binder full- nay, STUFFED, with family recipes. Photo copies of my Nana and Grandma's hand writing. Recipes from my aunts...really good family recipes that we (my siblings and I) grew up on.

This morning my dad calls me asking for a recipe. I didn't even know I had the recipe in my binder. (I have flipped through that book so many times over the years, I've lost count!)

Anyway, without further ado, here's the recipe for, well actually, its not named. So we'll call it Noreen's Salad. (After my aunt who the recipe originates from...)

Shallot Vinaigrette
1/4 c sugar (or a little less)
1 tsp. dry mustard
3/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp. salt
5 tblsp. red wine vinegar
1 tblsp. balsamic vinegar
1/3 c honey
3 tblsp fresh lemon juice
4 tblsp chopped shallots (2 large)
1 c vegetable oil
pinch of tarragon

Salad
4 oz. crumbled Gorgonzola
1/2 c dried cranberries
12 red grapes, sliced in half
1 pear, cut into small pieces
1/2 c shelled pistachios (sliced, chopped pieces)

Mix sugar, mustard, paprika, salt and vinegars until sugar is dissolved. Add honey, lemon juice, shallots. Gradually heat in oil and tarragon. Chill. Yields 1 1/2 c.

Spring mix romaine, endive & radicchio- add cheese, fruits & nuts- when ready to serve- toss with dressing.

Happy tossing!

Maybe I'll make this and take a photo...mmmm, PROJECT!