Friday, February 4, 2011

Inconsiderate

My business is being in peoples homes. Which means, when I enter, I take off my shoes. I'm respectful of the home owners items. Since I don't know if you have allergies or not, I don't wear perfume. I introduce myself, with a handshake, so if we don't know each other, now we have a formal beginning.

So, when we have a service provider come to our home, I expect the same type of service. (Not the whole, perfume thing...'specially if its a man) but you get my point.

We just had a service provider come to our home. He comes in, doesn't introduce himself, puts on the blue booties, asks, "where's this going?". Oh. Bubble burst. Immediately.

Then I see him outside doing work, for about half hour he's out there. When he comes back into the house, he reeks of smoke. My husband and I don't smoke. So it was painfully obvious that he just did.

Here's the thing. I don't care if you smoke; that's your business. But when you are on a service call, is it really the most professional thing to do? Why not smoke in between customers homes? So, by the time you get to your next call, the smell has dissipated a bit?

I know your asking, "so what did you do Erin?" Here's what I did. As soon as he walked back outside, I ran upstairs, opened the window, and FLEW back down to my computer. (I may or may not have been catching my breath when he came back into the house...)

Bottom line, if you're in the business of making house calls, do yourself a favor and be considerate that not everyone smokes, therefore doesn't appreciate you smelling up their home.

Ahhh, I feel much better now!