Monday, March 7, 2011

Valances

One of the many perks of my career is making friends with my clients. So when one of my clients had leftover fabric from her window treatments she offered it to me! I was so excited I couldn't wait to go home and make the first stitch.

Well, it took a little longer than I anticipated (just a few years)...but thankfully, this weekend with my mom driving the fabric train, we made valances!

Before we got to the actual train station though (I don't know why I'm using a train reference here, just go with me...haha) we had to grab supplies.

First stop of the day was at Home Depot (my home away from home!) and grabbed a staple gun. (Side note about Home Depot, my mom would rather have a root canal than go to Home Depot. She detests it. I have no idea why...I could spend a very long time there; but she was driving and I didn't want to be left 'cause it would have been a super cold walk back to the house...so our trip was about 7.5 minutes, that includes driving into the parking lot, finding a space, locating the staple gun isle, checking out and leaving the lot. Mom doesn't play.)

Second stop was at a store mom is more comfortable in, Joanns! We got a little side tracked with the food Cricut machine (they were doing demo's so of course we watched for a while...) then put the train back on its tracks, and went back home.

Mom is a pro at all things involving sewing. She taught Home Ec. for the longest time...and while we were at Joanns she bought me some needles and thread to add to my empty sewing kit. (My sewing kit might have been empty- but check out my tool box...that's all I'm sayin'...)

If I had a train conductors hat, I would have put it on moms head 'cause she knew exactly what she was doing. Most of the time I asked, "do you need help?" "what's that do?"

The only time I knew for sure what was going on was when I used the staple gun to adhere the fabric to the piece of wood...

So here's what the kitchen looked like before:
Here's me watching mom work:
Mom using her thinking cap:
And the after:
Close up on the window:

We did this project on Saturday and every time since then when I walk in the house, I smile (big) because I'm so happy with the way they came out!! WAHOO!