Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I can't get 'er done right...

We've lived in our house for 3+ years now and for all this time, I've never gotten our master bedroom "just right".

Doing the redesign for the whole house seemed like a piece of freakin' cake compared to doing our bedroom. "But Erin, your a designer...this should be easy for you" you might be asking...but here is the thing:

When I do someone else's home, it is THEIR home. Not mine. Its very easy for me to help make decisions for clients based on their needs and my ideas, but when it comes to my own house, I hit a wall (haha, no pun intended) and just can't seem to get 'er done right.

This is what it looked like before I painted the walls Bona Fide Beige (Sherwin Williams) and got new nightstands...now its completely empty over the headboard...notice how the ceiling line goes UP...it angles to the right for about seven feet and then flattens out at 12' high for about eight more feet in overall length. Did that make sense? Anyway, its a HUGE wall...)

I picked my dad's brain this weekend while he was here (which, our time together was awesome!) and he suggested just adding pictures over the headboard, and leave the other walls in the room bare. Which got me thinking...what did other people put over their beds?
I dig the simplicity of this...being married to a photographer we have no shortage of pictures to choose from...I know this is the same basic idea as the one above, but these are taller

Maybe just one long one?
Oooh, maybe a shelf over the headboard with stuff on it? Grrr, but then I have to dust it, hmmm

See what I mean? This is hard stuff I'm dealing with here y'all!!

(All photos, except the one of my bedroom are from thenest.com)